Friday, April 29, 2011

Future "Lone Ranger"? I hope not.

There have been talks recently that Armie Hammer, one of the stars of the hit movie The Social Network is aiming to put on the mask and hat of legendary cowboy hero of the airwaves, The Lone Ranger. When I think Lone Ranger, I am sorry to say I do not see this guy as him. I may only be a kid of the 21st century, but culturally, I am a kid of the 20th century. I have a passion for things like classic radio shows, pulp novels, classic movies and all the other amazing stuff that defined America in the 20th century from a cultural aspect. If Hollywood tries to make a new film about this timeless character, its going to go the same route as The Green Hornet, right down the toilet.

See the problem with Hollywood today, is they try to "vamp up" the things that our parents and grandparents grew up watching and listening to for the modern child, who, in my opinion, is spoiled rotten by the glut of new, well everything. And don't even get me started on the cartoons out there today. The stuff shown on Cartoon Network and Nick is just downright stupid, not even worthy of being called cartoons. But that rant is for another day. Bottom line is, I don't like the fact that they are going to chose this kind of actor to play such a serious and amazing character. If they find someone who has the acting chops to put on that mask and uniform, mount a bright silvery horse and yell to the heavens "Hi yo Silver, away!" then by all means go ahead. But please, do not put this farce out there, its only going to tarnish the good reputation of the Lone Ranger.



2 comments:

  1. I would have said the same thing for Star Trek, but every once in a while, they do find someone with an appropriate vision for a character or series

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do make a good point, but with that, they were drawing from a vastly expanded universe of stories, with this, well there is a lot of room to manipulate and mess things up.

    ReplyDelete