Friday, June 17, 2011

'Green Lantern' Review

Well folks, I just got home from the midnight opening of Green Lantern, with Ryan Reynolds of course as Hal Jordan. And I was actually quite impressed with the movie.

Overall, the film itself was not a total disappointment. There were things that honestly just made me sad, like changing Parallax's origin, the mask of course being another sad little thing as well. But the acting was solid, the plot good, and the cast in my opinion, was well suited for their respective roles.

Truth be told, I believe this movie has set the stage for more DC Comics properties to be made into films, of course the films need to be done right, with the proper actors, directors etc. behind the project.

Mark Strong as Sinestro, now that was a wonderful choice to be sure, and there is a special little something at the end of the film, hinting of course at the eventual sequel. Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond was also an excellent choice, to be honest he creeped me out, and beyond Heath Ledger's Joker, no other film supervillain has done that.

If there is eventually a sequel to this film, I hope that the studio will work more on the CGI because that still needed some work, just some not a lot. I would give the film 3.5 stars out of four. But, I still recommend the movie, despite these setbacks.




3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Green Lantern. I saw it this afternoon followed by seeing X-Men: First Class for the second time (which by the way, should be nominated for "Best Picture/Film of the Year"). I enjoyed Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris a lot. They're relationship was simple yet complex. Very nice. Hector Hammond creeped me out (which is hard to do save for Heath Ledger's Joker), and he was an incredible villain. Tomar-Re, Kilowag, and of coarse (Thaal)Sinestro were great! The training scene was incredible and I really enjoyed the effects. Personally, I wish Sinestro had more time to develop, but I think that this movie was really a set up to #2 where Sinestro will fall.

    Now, my complains with this movie are simple and obvious. As a comic book purist, it is hard to please me with things that differ exponentially from the source materials. Smallville, X-Men: First Class, Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, The DCAU, and Young Justice are the only exceptions thus far. Parallax is my biggest complaint. They mixed his origin with Krona and his speech pattern/voice was that of Krona's and NOT Parallax. Although the character was Parallax in name and in power, he was Krona in everything else. An interesting mix, but I don't think it worked all to well. Now, did this stop me from enjoying it? Absolutely NOT! But it did irritate me. Thanks for your Spoiler Free review Josh, and keep up the great work!

    Also, check Across the Airwaves' web site the next two weeks, cause a Live Show for Thor, X-Men: First Class, and Green Lantern may be happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sweat man! I always do my best to bring it to the net. I appreciate your continued support for this blog, despite the fact that there are other, more well established and big name blogs that you could be following. And I totally agree, Parallax was Parallax in name and power, but in origin and speech, he was all Krona. But of course this did not stop me from enjoying the film, not in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It didn't stop me either, it just threw me off. Maybe if I see it again I'll feel better about it.

    ReplyDelete