Friday, May 6, 2011

Thor Review

I apologize for it taking so long to get today's post out, I had an AP test this morning, believe me folks that can be added to the ever growing list of things that one will not enjoy having to get up early for. I am sorry to say that I was unable, along with the rest of the loyal Marvel fanbase, to attend the midnight premier of Thor. However, I did manage to catch a afternoon showing, and I can honestly say, that I was very impressed.

The film has an amazing cast, Chris Hemsworth does a fantastic job as Thor, portraying him as brash, arrogant, and strong-headed before being exiled to Earth, where he quickly becomes humble and kind. Tom Hiddleston brings the character of Loki alive very well, showing him to appear meek, but when his true villainy is revealed, I was truly scared, because this is a being who is both crafty and powerful. With Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Jaimie Alexander as Lady Sif, Ray Stevenson, Joshua Dallas and Tadanobu Asano as the Warriors Three, the cast is filled out with these stellar performances.

The sets, in particular the sets for Asgard, home to the mythic Norse gods, were spectacular. Picture a shining city, tall and gleaming and teaming with life, and you get Asgard.

My only two little complaints, were that Thor's transformation from a hot-headed warrior to a kinder, wiser man is very quick for a space of several days. That being said, also the scenes with him on Earth were slow at times, and the pace only picked up when he was joined by his friends.

But overall, the film did not disappoint and is an excellent kick-start for the summer movie season. And like all Marvel films, it would not be complete without a cameo by famed comics writer Stan Lee, and a after-credits piece showing something for the movie to come. In this case, that movie to come bit will be of course for the upcoming film Captain America: The First Avenger. This film and that one are both, along with the two Iron Man films and the new rebooted Hulk from a few years back, all precursors to The Avengers film, which is slated to be released on May 4 of next year. For those who are looking forward to the Captain America movie as much as I am, that one comes out on July 22, so get those costumes and tickets ready people, cause after that its time to be an Avenger!

I am giving the film 3.5 out of 5 stars, for its excellent casting and sets and wonderful performances by the cast. Again the acting during the Earth scenes was a bit slow, but it does not detract from the sheer awesomeness of the film itself. If you are not planning on seeing this movie, I hope my review may change your minds and that you are not disappointed dear friends and readers, for the wonderment that awaits you.






2 comments:

  1. hmmm... I don't agree on the earth stuff being slow. I thought it was pretty sick. should get better than 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense Tim, you are not a big comic book fan like me, your expectations were not as high as mine were. And I am only giving that rating based on my opinion, and I believe I am being pretty fair here.

    ReplyDelete