Saturday, March 5, 2011

Doc Savage

A decade before Kal-El became the Man of Steel, there was another Superman, that appeared in the pulps, and his name is Clark Savage Jr! Appearing in Doc Savage Magazine in 1933, he was created by pulp writer Lester Dent for Street and Smith Publishing under the house name Kenneth Robeson, Clark Savage was raised by his father and a team of scientists in an environment to deliberately train his body and mind to near-superhuman perfection. Known as Doc to his close friends and cousin, Doc Savage, in addition to being a skilled surgeon, is a master musician, physician, scientist, inventor, explorer etc. He was nicknamed the Man of Bronze by the press, due to his skin being constantly tanned a golden bronze color. Gathering five men, each of whom is skilled in a certain area, they have formed a team that go's where they are needed, helping those who need help and bringing evil-doers to justice! They abide by a code, which states "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." His comrades, also known as the Fabulous Five are: Andrew "Monk" Mayfair, skilled chemist; Theodore "Ham" Brooks, attorney; John "Renny" Renwick, construction engineer; Thomas "Long Tom" Roberts, electrical engineer and William "Johnny" Littlejohn, archaeologist and geologist. Along with Doc's cousin Patricia, or Pat to the group, who is constantly getting into trouble, leading to the boys getting her out of it, they hold their headquarters on the 86th floor of the Empire State Building, which houses Doc's offices, laboratory etc. a kind of Hall of Justice (the headquarters of the cartoon team the Superfriends). His popularity over the years lead to several radio shows, comic books, and in 1975 the movie Doc Savage: Man of Bronze was produced, but suffered due to being a critical failure and box office flop. For those who wish to read the reprints of Doc's classic adventures, go to http://members.cox.net/comingattractions3/SanctumBooks.html, where you can also find as in my previous character post, the reprint volumes of Walter Gibson's classic character the Shadow. And for anyone who is interested in the Doc Savage radio series's, go http://www.radioarchives.com/default.asp for the cd's. Don't hesitate, get out there and "do right to all, and wrong no man" today!

No comments:

Post a Comment